Ayurveda is a holistic system of health and healing developed from the rich culture and civilisations of ancient India. Ayurveda has a very long history as a system of Natural Healing. It is a time tested system that served humanity and survived in Indian subcontinent continuously for more than last 5000 years. The word Ayurveda is developed from two Sanskrit words, ayu meaning life and veda meaning knowledge. Ayurveda is the knowledge on quality and quantity of life. It deals with physical, mental, emotional, sexual, social and spiritual aspects of life. Ayurveda helps to improve health and wellness and prevent as well as treat diseases.
Ayurveda is based on strong principles which are applicable still today. These principles equip Ayurveda to deal with the problems of today’s busy stressful life and newly discovered diseases. Teachings of Ayurveda are encoded in various books some dating back to at least 2500 BC and available still today. One of the early scholars of Ayurveda, Acharya Charaka is regarded as father of (ancient) medicine. Another scholar Acharya Susruta, is regarded as the father of Surgery and father of plastic surgery. His book, Susruta samhita, is regarded as the earliest book on surgery available today.
Ayurveda considers health as not just absence of diseases, but ‘perfect balance of body constituents, proper elimination and wellness of sensory and motor perception, mind and soul.’ In order to attain this health almost all Ayurveda doctrines explains vividly how we can take care of ourselves on a daily basis. There are daily regimes, seasonal regimes, diet advises and advises on how to calm your mind. Ayurveda can help you to live in harmony with nature and to find your inner peace and wellness, which will help you to lead a happy life.
Unique principles help Ayurveda to understand body more than tissue functions and act on early manifestations of pathology. By looking into your skin, digestion, pulse and so on an Ayurvedic practitioner assesses the state of your health, and helps you to balance your body. When diseases are manifested Ayurvedic medicines and treatments help you to regain your health. Studies and experiences prove that Ayurveda can be successfully used along with contemporary medicine to combat diseases and get back to normal health. Apart from addressing symptoms that are scattered around body, Ayurveda considers the whole individual, assesses the root physical and mental problems and pathology and treats accordingly. Ayurveda can act along with western medicine to alleviate diseases and/ or reduce the side effects of western medicine.
Ayurveda is helpful to:
1. Improve your wellness and health.
2. Problems of digestion, elimination, skin, hairs, breathing, allergy, sexual life, mental health, peri menopausal symptoms and so on.
3. To deal with skin diseases, menstrual problems, infertility, diseases of nervous system, bones and joints, autoimmune disorders, deficiency diseases, life style disorders, metabolic disorders and chronic diseases like arthritis, asthma, etc.
Ayurvedic consultations and treatments include:
1. Understanding your body constitution: Every individual is unique and are different from one another. Ayurveda understands these differences as Ayurvedic body constitution (Prakruti) which will help you to find the food, activities and treatments that are most suitable to you.
2. Advises on diet and lifestyles that can help to maintain your health and recover from minor health issues.
3. Ayurvedic medicines which can pacify your disturbed body constituents and regain your balance. Several Ayurvedic preparations are there to correct pathologies of various ailments and diseases.
4. Ayurvedic massage, Sirodhara (rhythmic pouring of warm oil on forehead), Kizhi (massage using pouch prepared from herbs or powders), Pizhichil (rhythmic pouring of warm oil on whole body) and so on which can relax your mind, rejuvenate your skin, strengthen your muscles, nourish your bones and joints, stimulate your nerves and/ or act on specific diseases.
5. Special purification / detoxification treatments of body called Panchakarma treatments.
6. Detoxifying and rejuvenating treatments tailored according to your Ayurvedic body constitution, state of body, mind and season.
7. Help you to find your inner balance and calms your mind through understanding your mind, various Ayurvedic treatments like Sirodhara (rhythmic pouring of warm oil on forehead), Shashtika Sali Pinda Sweda (pouch massage with medicated rice and milk), etc. yoga meditation and/ or Ayurvedic herbs.