Spinach holds remarkable abilities to restore energy, increase vitality, and improve the quality of the blood. Including spinach in your diet stimulates Pitta and when used in moderation, it pacifies Vata and Kapha. Nutmeg grounds detoxify your body and make you feel positive, while cardamom and ginger boost up your circulation and makes you feel warm. Spinach combined with coconut boost your metabolism, while the coconut cream keeps you hydrated and lubricates your brain. Spinach helps strengthen your immune system and is great for your overall health.
Collect and prepare:
- Spinach either fresh or frozen (chop or cut it into small pieces): 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ghee (try goat ghee) or coconut butter (recommended only if you have a strong digestive fire as it is hard to digest)
- Nutmeg, cardamom and grated ginger: A quarter of a teaspoon each
- 3 tablespoons of coconut milk or 1.5 tablespoons of coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons of water
- Salt and pepper
- Heat ghee or coconut butter in a pot.
- Add nutmeg and cumin seeds until lightly browned. Also, add ginger (you can cut it into small pieces or grate it) and salt.
- Add spinach and slowly start adding water, then boil and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, add the coconut cream or milk and continue to heat for another couple of minutes. Then blend and purée it gently.
- Garnish with black pepper.
Now, serve it hot. You can decorate it with some chia seeds if you wish.
You can add cooked mung beans, quinoa or home-made whole grain bread with the spinach soup