Fenugreek porridge is a very healthy and delicious porridge, which is considered to be an ideal medicinal food to keep good health and is highly recommended for post-natal care. The main ingredient is fenugreek, also known as Methi seeds. Additionally, fenugreek is a delicious warming spice from Trigonella foenum-graecum plant and a commonly used one in Indian cooking and helps balance Vata and Kapha. It is bitter-sweet and nourishing which creates a strong grounding effect in the body. What’s more, fenugreek helps to improve digestion, bowel movements, lactation and hormonal balance and helps to control cholesterol, diabetes, bloating and metabolism as well.
Now, let’s have a look at its preparation!
- Raw rice -1 cup
- Fenugreek/Methi Seeds-2 tbsp
- Water-4 cups
- Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
- Shallots -5 nos
- Grated Coconut -1/2 cup
- Salt to Taste
How to prepare?
1. Soak fenugreek in water overnight. Also, wash and soak raw rice in water for half an hour.
2. Now, add rice, water and fenugreek to a pressure cooker kept on medium heat and cook for 10 minutes or until done.
3. Allow the ingredients to cool. Then open the lid and gently mash cooked rice and fenugreek with the base of a ladle.
4. Grind coconut, shallots and cumin seeds to a smooth paste. Add the grated coconut paste to the cooked rice and mix well. Now, add salt and cook again for 3 minutes.
Serve by topping up with a teaspoon of warm melted ghee on the top. It is highly recommended for postnatal care and Vata balancing.
You may add jaggery if you have a sweet tooth or looking for something sweet.
Enjoy this nutritious meal and get energized!