Roasted Vegetable Barley Risotto is a versatile pasta-esque dish that can be had either as a main meal or a side dish with a salad. With a blend of vegetables and barley, this dish is truly rich in nutrients and perfect to be added to your diet. Moreover, its preparation is easy. Looking for an alternative to Pasta, you ought to try this one.
- ⅓ cup Pearl Barley
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 Medium Carrot
- Broccoli, finely chopped
- Kale, roughly chopped
- Mushrooms, nicely sliced (optional)
- 2 thinly sliced cloves of garlic
- 1½ tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2/3 roughly chopped fresh Sage leaves
- One finely chopped small onion
1. Take an oven-proof container. Put Kale, Broccoli and Carrot in the
container. Add a bit of oil and mix thoroughly. Heat the content at 200c
for nearly 20mins
2. Take a pan and lubricate it with oil. Put the garlic and mushrooms in
it. Heat the content in medium flame until garlic turns brown. Make sure
not to overheat and burn it. Once you heat it for 15 mins, slightly turn up
the heat and chuck in the onion. Continue heating until it’s cooked well.
Make sure to slightly stir so that the content won’t get burnt.
3. Now, take the roasted veggies out of the oven and tip them into the pan
containing garlic, mushroom and onion. Mix well. Set the flame to medium
and cook well for 3-4 mins. Wash the barley and add it to the pan.
4. Add a little vegetable stock and sage leaves. Mix thoroughly. Let it
cook on medium heat. Now add the remaining stock and cook in simmer until
it drains and the barley is well-cooked.
5. Turn off the stove. Once it’s slightly cooled down, serve it on your
Enjoy the dish!