We all suffer some type of skin issues at some stages of life- ranging from itchy dry skin to a full blown dermatitis or eczema or psoriasis. It’s especially common in dry and cold seasons, children and after travel. Here we are discussing how to help your skin. For that first of all we need to know the causes.
Common Causes of Skin Diseases:
An infection or a disease of skin, usually it comes from
1. Dry skin is the prime and most common reason for unhealthy skin. It becomes prominent during winter, change of seasons; end of summer and after migration from humid weather to comparatively dry weather.
2. Low immunity plays an important role in infections of skin and recurrences.
3. Poor digestion affects the nourishment of the body including skin and also results in low immunity.
4. Constipation results in the accumulation of waste in the system which can irritate and/ or induce inflammatory changes in the body, especially skin.
5. Deficiency of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients: As we all know, body can’t maintain health without these essential nutrients adequately.
How can you help yourself?
Ayurveda offers a range of herbal products and external treatments for skin diseases. On top of that there are a few things you may do to help yourselves.
1. Maintain your skin well lubricated
First of all, your skin can’t be well lubricated if the body is dry. So remember to drink adequate amounts of water as whenever you are thirsty, feeling dry or your urine is dark. Include adequate amounts of healthy fat in your food. Adding or drizzling oils (not frying), diary (be mindful of your allergies and digestion), nuts, seeds, etc also provide healthy fat.
2. Self massage
Self oil massage is an excellent way to lubricate externally. It also helps to give a quick relief from itchy and dry skin. You may use olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil or sesame oil for massage. Begin from head, and then apply to rest of your body. You may also apply to the areas where you feel dry and itchy. Leave the oil on for 20-60 minutes, then wipe with a towel or take a shower. Herbalized oils like Dhanwantaram oil gives better results however it is recommended to use them according to professional guidance only.
3. Maintain your digestion and bowel movements
Gentle spices like fresh ginger, turmeric, cumin, fennel, coriander, fresh herbs, etc help to maintain digestion. Water and fibres (via vegetables and fruits) are important to maintain regular bowel movements. Make sure you seek professional help whenever digestion and/ or bowel movements are compromised.
4. Eat healthy
As mentioned before, lack of nutrients risks skin health. So ensure all required nutrients via healthy wholesome meals. Include different types of grains, seasonal fruits and vegetables, proteins, etc. in your diet.
5. Exposure to sunlight
Sun is an excellent healer for skin and helps to produce vitamin D. Exposure to early morning or late evening sun rays is safe and nourishing at the same time. So plan an outdoor activity or exercise during this time.
Our rate of metabolism changes according to the seasons so is our needs. There for it’s important that you adjust your diet according to seasons. We need more fluids and juicy fruits during summer and more healthy fat and warming spices during winter. Oil massage becomes essential during winter especially if you have a dry skin. Also, don’t forget to adjust the layers of cloths according to seasons.