AYURVEDIC THERAPEUTIC ENEMAS/ VASTI
Everyone will be familiar with the term enema; it’s the introduction of liquid medicines through anus. But in Ayurvedic therapeutic enema or vasti, various herbal preparations are administered through anus. Ayurvedic therapeutic enema is advised as the prime and the most important treatment to balance vata (the air factor) and to address all the three doshas (humors)Doshas. Ayurvedic therapeutic enema enjoys high status among all the detox procedures due to its widespread benefits.
How are Ayurvedic therapeutic enemas performed?
Before administration of the Ayurvedic therapeutic enema, body is prepared by massaging with herbalized oils and then applying steam. Massage helps to lubricate and steam to improve circulation. After that when you are lying down, herbal formulations are introduced using an enema bag or enema tube by an expert. Once the administration is finished, abdomen, lower back, hands and feet are massaged vigorously to improve absorption. The herbs can remain in the bowel for a few minutes to many hours (according to the type of the formulation) before it is eliminated.
Types of Ayurvedic therapeutic enema:
According to the herbal formulations used and dose, enemas are classified mainly into 2.
1. Oil Enema (Snehavasti):
Here herbalized oils are used. Oil enema helps to lubricate the colon, softens hard facal matter and stimulates bowel movements. Oil enema is the ideal treatment for vata imbalance. The use of various herbalized oils help to address various pathologies and imbalances like
- Low back pain due to muscular/tendon or joint issues like lumbago, lumbar spondylosis, IVDP, etc.
- Sensory and motor issues of legs like sciatica, peripheral neuropathy, restless leg syndrome, etc.
- Digestive issues like bloating, constipation, chronic diarrhoea/ loose bowel, etc. associated with various diseases of alimentary canal.
- General symptoms of vata imbalance like severe dryness, fatigue, aches and pains in the body, stiffness, etc.
Generally oil enema is advised after food, but lower dose ones can be administered at any time. Once you had oil enema, you can go home and try to hold the enema as long as you can. Let the oil eliminate once the bowel movements happen. Usually multiple sessions of oil enemas are advised for specific illnesses and long lasting results. Oil enema can be carried out individually or as part of a detox program.
Time required for individual sessions: 60 minutes.
2. Herbal Enema (Decoction enema/Kashaya vasti):
Here a mixture of herbal oil, herbal liquid and herbal paste is used. There are thousands of formulations for herbal enema to address different imbalances and illnesses. The combination of different formulations make herbal enema efficient to deal with imbalance of all humors. By selecting appropriate herbs and formulations, herbal enemas can be used to correct/improve any imbalance and disease (provided the imbalance is reversible and the individual is not contraindicated for herbal enema eg. pregnancy, children, elderly, physically too weak, etc). Herbal enema is highly recommended in case of
- Autoimmune disorders
- Sensory and motor diseases
- Chronic digestive issues like Gastro oesophageal reflux diseases, chronic constipation, Acid Peptic Disease, Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, etc
- Joint issues like IVDP, lumbar spondylosis, cervical spondylosis, frozen shoulder, osteoarthritis, etc.
- Problems of menstruation, infertility and other gynaecological issues.
- Diseases out of general imbalance like obesity, diabetes, skin disease, Chronic fatigue syndrome, etc.
- Hormonal imbalances.
Preparing body for herbal enema:
As the herbal enema is an intense process, the body needs to be prepared. So herbal enema is preceded by and followed by oil enemas. That means a single session of herbal enema usually requires three consecutive days. The process of herbal enema can be finished by an hour (time may vary if there are any associated treatments). But you will be recommended to remain at the center until you have finished your eliminations (You will be guided properly).
Time required: 90 minutes a day, 3 days a row.
Two sessions of oil enema
One session of herbal enema
Herbal tea, dietary support and lifestyle recommendations
Daily assessment for 3 days
How Ayurvedic therapeutic enemas act:
The efficacy of Ayurvedic enema is attributed to following facts.
- When herbal formulations are introduced through anus, it enters rectum and sometimes up to lower part of colon. Mucosa of colon and rectum has high absorption rate, so even when the enema remains in the system for a short span of time, more herbs are absorbed.
- Human alimentary canal has about 100 million neurons more than that in spinal cord. They form the enteric nervous system which makes our gut ‘the second brain’. This system plays a key role in the overall mental and physical well being of the individual. Ayurvedic enema is believed to be stimulating this system.
- The microbes in gut (gut flora) are usually referred as a ‘forgotten organ’ which helps to maintain optimum digestion, absorption and immunity. Ayurvedic enema supports these friends in our gut.
- Our colon lodge years of un-eliminated wastes plus unfriendly bugs, enemas help to clear them.
- Ayurvedic therapeutic enemas contain lubricating herbalized oil in it which helps to lubricate gut and optimize its functions which are not easy otherwise.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Therapeutic Enema:
- Improved digestion with optimum appetite and bowel movements.
- Lightness of body especially abdomen.
- Helps with deficiency diseases as the absorption improves.
- Improvement in food intolerances.
- Relief from imbalances and diseases.
- Flexibility with muscles, tendons and joints.
- Clarity and groundedness of mind.
- Improved body weight.
- Good energy.
- Improved metabolism, sleep, skin, memory, vitality and immunity.