Rice and Mung Bean Porridge is a traditional dish of South India where it’s known as Payar Kanji. This dish is not just delicious but highly nutritional as well, thanks to Mung Bean and Brown Matta Rice. Furthermore, it’s easily digestible, which is why it’s perfect to be had while you are sick or is troubled with stomach upset. This delightful porridge is ideally had for breakfast or lunch. However, you can have it for dinner as well.
Brown Matta rice, is a boiled rice that very nourishing, soothing in stomach and easy to digest. It’s an ideal rice for cleansing and nourishing or when the body feels sick.
Now, let’s see its ingredients and how it is made.
- 1/2 cup Brown Matta Rice
- 3/4 cup Mung Beans
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut (grated)
- 2 cloves Garlic (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Half a teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 sprigs of Curry leaves
- 2 cups Spinach leaves
- Salt, to taste
1. Wash the Brown Matta rice and mung beans add it to a pressure cooker. Add a little salt and pour 4 cups of water into the cooker.
2. Cook the content on high heat until 6 whistles. After that, cook on low flame for 15mins.
3. Now, turn off the stove and open the cooker once the pressure is relieved. If the rice is not consistent, you may add some water
4. Now add add coconut, crushed garlic, cumin seeds, green chilly cut into small pieces, turmeric powder and curry leaves to the pressure cooker and allow to boil for few minutes. Add more water if required to ensure the consistency of a porridge.
5. Finally, add the spinach leaves and turn off the stove. Add salt if needed. Serve it in a bowl.
1. If Brown Matta rice is not available, you may use Basmati rice.
2. Except for rice and mung beans, all other ingredients are optional.
3. Coconut really lifts the flavour, if fresh not available you may use dry coconut.
4. Spinach leaves can be swapped with any green leaves.
5. You can cook mung beans with spices separately and serve rice porridge and min beans separately.
6. You can avoid rice completely and cook mung beans with other ingredients for a carb-free yummy meal.
That’s it! Easy-peasy!
Enjoy the meal.