Pumpkin Erissery would be familiar for South Indians especially those from Kerala as it’s one of the main dishes of the Kerala vegetarian platter known as Sadhya. This healthy and delicious vegetable dish consists of pumpkin, pulses, spices, and coconut. Erisseri which is an easy-to-make dish is perfect to eat by itself, or with rice, quinoa, or couscous. It could go well with Appam, Dosa, and Tomato rice as well. Be it in any manner you’re consuming, you can rest assured it’ll satisfy your taste buds. Here is its recipe.
- 300 gm pumpkin
- 1 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 dry red chilli (optional)
- 150 gm red kidney beans
- 2 green chilli (optional)
- salt as required
- 3 cup water
- 5 tablespoon grated coconut
- 3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
1. Put the red beans in water and keep them soaked overnight.
2. Put the soaked red beans in a pressure cooker. Add salt, turmeric, water
and red chilli powder. Cook the content in low flame and open the lid of the
cooker after 4-5 whistles.
3. Dice the pumpkin and add it to the cooker. Cook the content on medium
flame without closing the lid.
4. Now, chop the onions and green chillies and blend them in a grinder with
3 tablespoons of grated coconut, cumin seeds and a little water. Let it
become a smooth firm paste.
5. Add this paste to the cooker. Meanwhile, lubricate a pan with coconut
6. Heat the pan in medium flame. Once heated, add mustard seeds, curry
leaves, dry red chilli and the remaining grated coconut. Stir until it becomes brown.
7. Add the required salt to this mixture. Now put this in the cooker and mix
well. Cook for 10 minutes. Make sure to stir infrequently.
Your Erriseri is ready to be served