Importance of respiration:
Respiration is one of the vital functions of body which is essential to maintain life. The quality of respiration considerably affects the health of the organs and cells. To be healthy it is important to carry out the process of respiration to more or less full extent, so that all tissues are supplied with oxygen as needed and can perform their functions to the full extent.
Importance of Ayurvedic approach in respiratory diseases:
Respiratory diseases, even though they are primarily affecting the respiratory system, are greatly influenced by stress and immunity. Our gut has an important role in immunity. So your digestive problems, stress and respiratory issues are inseparable. Here Ayurveda’s holistic approach becomes handy. Instead of the disease, Ayurveda always treats the individual. During an Ayurvedic consultation, your respiratory system, digestive system, metabolism, immunity and mind will be assessed and treated. Herbs, lifestyle modifications, detox treatments, etc. which can help to address the root causes of disease and different systems at the same time will be advised as needed. Ayurveda in general is very effective to boost immunity and help with stress. That is why the system of Ayurveda is more effective in case of chronic respiratory diseases.
Root causes of respiration:
Imbalance in digestion (agni): Lately its proved approximately 70-80% of our immunity tissues are located in the gut. But from ancient times, Ayurveda is saying that imbalance in your gut is the primary cause of your respiratory diseases.
Accumulation of toxins:
Generally, anything that’s unwanted to the body (and not eliminated timely) can gradually turn toxic to the systems. Metabolic by products, un-eliminated waste materials, undigested food, toxins from microbes, industrial toxins, pollutants etc are some examples. As of any other system, accumulation of toxins in the body can lead to infections and diseases of the respiratory system. Air pollution, extreme/ abrupt weather changes, etc make us more prone to respiratory diseases.
Allergic nature and/or low immunity:
As the level of the toxins increases in the system, the body becomes more and more intolerant to different substances and allergic to them. Low immunity plays a vital role here. So detoxifying the system, improving metabolism and boosting immunity become important.
Your mental and emotional status has a direct link to the aggravation and/ or relapse of respiratory diseases. So it is important to treat your stress as well while treating your respiratory diseases. An imbalance in the system itself can contribute to the stress. So correcting the imbalance, lifestyle modification, meditation, Ayurvedic massage treatments, etc. can help you to combat your stress.
Some common respiratory disorders that responds well to Ayurveda:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Respiratory allergies
- Sinusitis and Hay fever
- Nasal polyp
- Deviated Nasal septum
How Ayurveda can help you:
1. Ayurvedic herbs: Help to control infection and/ or disease, improve respiratory function and metabolism. Usually herbs which can help to boost metabolism and immunity will be mixed with these respiratory herbs to improve results.
2. Ayurvedic lifestyle and diet: Helps to boost metabolism, reduce stress, prevent/ reduce relapse and improve metabolism.
3. Ayurvedic detox treatments: Helps to detoxify the system and control respiratory diseases. Ayurvedic nasal detox (Nasya) is very important here.Read more about Ayurvedic detox treatments here.
4. Ayurvedic massage treatments: Help to boost metabolism, boost immunity and reduce stress. Ayurvedic steam therapies are particularly effective for respiratory diseases. Read more about Ayurvedic massage treatments here.
Rafeena Kidavintavida provides consultations and treatments for the respiratory diseases..